About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

'I'm not going to jump into the lifeboat until I know WHY this ship is sinking'

Its not what you KNOW, its what you DO: 'I'm not going to jump into the lifeboat until I know WHY this ship is sinking' (I cant remember ? where I first heard that one, but it was in some meeting..)

Regarding trying to get to the bottom of things, or trying to understand stuff. I'm not really trying to figure it out as such. Just trying to live according to spiritual principles.
If I tried to UNDERSTAND the universe and all the stuff in it, I would drive myself MAD. So I don't bother. Its just not worth it. What difference would it make anyway?
Ie.
'I'm not going to jump into the lifeboat until I know WHY this ship is sinking'

It takes great moral courage to embrace the contradictions and unseen crannies inherent in reality.
Its often very unflattering and confusing. I stopped trying to understand it a long time ago. All I know is that I must try to treat other humans how I would like to be treated. That's all. The rest I don't really know.

Did a 'chair' at a meeting today which was nice. Saw some new faces and discovered a GREAT coffee place afterwards I had no idea existed. A good day! Weather is STILL fabulous over here..
Have a good Thursday!

8 comments:

molly said...

i can SHOORREEE get caught up into wanting to know the WHYs of most anything and everything.. yup - that's how i do it. i'm learning though!

Syd said...

Reality is tough most of the time. And it's best for me not to try to figure it all out. Over analysis never got me anywhere really. If I just am aware of my feelings, then I can possibly not react and just let things go.

Abc said...

No, I have no reason to hate you or anyone else that cares to comment on any one of my posts. I welcome it. I am glad you took the time to stop by to read it.

It has been a long time since I last had a drink or drug. However, my concerne does not come from a situation such as the one I wrote about, but rather the little things I don't worry about at all. I enjoy your postings as most people who read them do, and look forward to reading more.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Moby Dick said...

your blog took forever to load!

I wanted to read it, but it keeps refreshing, I think it is some of the videos and thumbnails? Not sure;

good luck with your helping others in their recovery.

johno said...

Congrats on your results!!! Schools out! have fun!!!!!!!

robin ann mcintosh said...

great post, I am definitely a why, why, WHY kind of person. i am going to remember this quote!

Recovery Road London said...

My life/recovery got easier when I stopped trying to get to the bottom of why I'm an alcoholic.

Kathy Lynne said...

My spiritual life began to grow when I stopped trying to understand the God of my understanding.