About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Abuse and Trauma

These are some I have come up with. There are LOADS of books on abuse-type-stuff around now..There are some bestselling ones such as the lucky bones and Dave Pelzer though, so some are very good reads.
Its always good to understand more rather than less in regard to these things. I actually find it all very interesting, so its not such a big deal for me to read stuff like this. You don't need to have experienced this stuff in order to benefit from learning about it (in my opinion). Yes, some of it is pretty heavy, and parts of it will resonate with your own life, but it you are working hard at enjoying your life you won't get dragged down by these subject matters. If you have experienced any of these abuse types, then you DO need to get to know more about them. Go easy though. Do little bits at a time if its too heavy going for you. There's no hurry! Just do what you can, and keep going! You'll get there eventually!


The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Lucky by Alice Sebold
Both great books and stories. But both of pretty bleak subjects. Easy reading though.

After Silence by Nancy Venable Raine This is a great novel just on its own.

Telling by Patricia Weaver Francisco

There are LOADS of books on acquaintance rape, date rape, and sexual abuse on amazon if you want to find out about that area.

Trauma and Recovery : From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror by Judith Lewis Herman
This is a good book if you want to try to understand how trauma works. Or PTSD as they call it.

The Courage to Heal by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis
I'm not a big fan of this book as I find it far too bleak and negative. I have to mention it though because there are so few books on this subject, so I'm stuck with this one to recommend.

Covert Incest is discussed in the book Silently Seduced: When Parents Make their Children Partners - Understanding Covert Incest by Kenneth Adams

Understanding a bit about physical Abuse. Violence
When Men Batter Women: New Insights into Ending Abusive Relationships
by Neil Jacobson, John Gottman

Choosing messed up partners generally
Women Who Love Too Muchby Robin Norwood

An insight into very bad childhood abuse and survival of it
A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer
The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family by Dave Pelzer
A Man Named Dave: A Story of Triumph and Forgiveness by Dave Pelzer
Help Yourself: Finding Hope, Courage, and Happiness by Dave Pelzer

No comments: