About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

After 11months Sober, attend a Phone Duty workshop

You'd be a FOOL to miss out on phone duty. Its a very powerful from of service and has many benefits. I'll try listing some here.
Firstly you get to meet some really nice AA people who are walking the walk instead of talking the talk. Ie they put their money where their mouth is, and show up for the newcomer.
Social advantage. The other AA's you meet are often people you are glad you got to know. I find them essentially kind.
Enlarges your AA network of both social opportunity and support from others.
Very 'real', because you get to talk to people in pools of vomit in their front room. They are right in the epicenter of their disease. Its very humbling.
It teaches you to become really efficient at telling newcomers what to do. There's no time to fanny around as, if you stay on the cal too long, you may be blocking another desperate alcoholic from getting through.
It's a real feel-good service. It's impossible to leave without feeling better.
It teaches you good communication skills like no other. Assertiveness, how to not get fobbed off by callers whose minds wander aimlessly.
It is a fabulous opportunity to be helpful, so scores you lots of good karma points.

Normally you try to join a team that works once a month in the evenings. They are divided into intergroups. I used to serve on a Chelsea intergroup team simply because that's where a lot of my mates were, and I liked the idea of seeing familiar faces. Some teams are more popular than others and you'd have to wait AGES on a waiting ist to get onto.
You can also just volunteer to fill in gaps during the day, if you are freelance or unemployed.
The busiest shift is Monday morning, and that one is the most demanding. Its a fabulous workout!
I did it once one Christmas day, or boxing day (can't remember) and it was surprisingly good.
So basically, there's a slot that you will be able to do no matter what your schedule.
Don't miss it once you have a years sobriety! You' know what I mean once you have done it...

No comments: