About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Small things with Great Love: 'Constant thought of others' in daily life. (As opposed to grand, lofty, one off, dramatic gestures)

There is NOTHING more powerfully restorative for our wellbeing than thinking of what we can do for others. (In my opinion!)
That's what service is. You don't have to be a missionary in Africa to be thinking of what you can do for others. There are PLENTY of people who can benefit from a kindness of some sort, right on our doorstep!
Gazillions !! in AA!
If we are treating others as we would like to be treated. Well that's what 'constant thought of others' is!

Its just being KIND.
Being CONSIDERATE.
PAYING ATTENTION to the needs of others.
Looking for things you can do that might ? help them.
It doesn't have to be a big thing. At all!

Like mother Teresa said..
“We can do no great things; only small things with great love.”

Another one is:
"You can't change the world, but you CAN change the world for one man."
(Cliff Richard said that, funny enough! I'm not a big ! fan of his music, although I'm sure its very good. but I like his generosity.)

I'm a service JUNKIE. Because I ! LOVE how It makes me feel. I get to feel ? GREAT when I ! try to help new people.
I love it. Its like a spring clean for the head or something! Feels DAM good!

If you don't believe me, just try it!
Pay CLOSE attention to how good !! you feel when you REALLY ! think of what you can do for others.

Its SERIOUSLY cool!
Works like a CHARM too!

7 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

Really good post. I'm with you on the service thing, although some peoploe become such martyrs because they have to wash a tea cup! ;-)

Lots of small gestures are powerful, indeedy.

Like it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :-)

Syd said...

We CoDA's are made for service work but have to be careful not to become too engrossed. As long as I keep my boundaries then I'm okay.

Sober Steve said...

You should really be happy than today, because you did change my world, by giving it away. Thanks for the thoughts and for being here for me. I need to go give it away now.

peace
Hugs and Kisses
Steve

Shannon said...

YES!!! you are soo right.. I know this was such a valuable lesson when I was a newcomer to do something nice for someone and not get caught... hmmmm it has been a while thanks for rekindeling this

I soo appreaciate you thoughtfullness and kindness on my blog and everyone else too thank you for all you do

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all that you offer, for it is a way to live that is so FREE. I seek to obtain this, and thought (perhaps my first red flag :) ) I was on the right path. However I fell, and really hard.

So to a new chapter I venture, with experiences and all. I love your passion, may it keep lit so bright one day at a time. :)

Sober Steve said...

Service, what any easy concept, giving it away. Last night my spirts were really lifted when a fellow sober blogger called. we talked for about 90 mins. For some reason it was easier than talking to my sponser. I will process that also. But talking to someone when they need an ear is some of the best sevice work I can imagine right now. Thanks for the great work you do. you do spread the word of aa daily thru your writing and I love you for that.

peace
Hugs and Kisses
Steve

Mama Dukes said...

from one service junkie to another

it does work!

thank you