About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Vaguely interesting talks about enlightenment by Andrew Cohen and Ken Wilber on You Tube

You tube is SO cool! It has loads of weird eclectic stuff on it! I'm amazed!

I only just discovered that Andrew Cohen and Ken Wilber have quite a few you tube entries. Cool. Yeah I know it can sound like these people are talking out of their a**e, but it hasn't got the same (built in) VERY ego puncturing starting point that AA has, so, yes, you can get people who are a bit ? Soft or something. The people they lecture to haven't had a rock bottom, so they haven't had to learn the basics the hard way. But I like listening to people like these talk. Mind you I think I prefer Ajahn Munindo(The Abbot at Harnham). Whatever. I think I'm just not very good with people who become 'famous' for teaching about enlightenment. I don't like the groveling adoration that they get exposed to. Always makes me squirm a bit. Perhaps that's why I prefer the monks. Who knows. Actually, it could be the money angle as well. I think when money gets involved, the motive can be affected badly. Corporate pressures! who knows. but i think money can be very corrupting. i would never pay a pile of money to see any of these people. Put it that way.

Anyway I'm just saying I think these talks are pretty cool. Not my FAVORITE. But I like them. Stuff like this used to drive me NUTS when I first started listening to them!! They just seemed pointlessly complicated, but I can accept the complexity of the arguments now. I still find it much easier to listen to monastics, but they don't make so many videos! So teachers like these are much more accessible. Its all useful really. I like the way they talk about ego and all that. Its a different sort of thread of reasoning than you get in AA.

In the beginning, it used to confuse me because it sounded different from AA, but now I see no contradictions between the two approaches. Took me a while to dovetail the two things though!

Its funny, when I'm in AA I can crave talks like this, and when I hear talks like this, I crave the simplicity of AA stuff. Funny! That's just the old restless mind doing its thing. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence! They both have their uses!

No comments: