About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

A quote that sprung to mind.. (that I like)

For some reason when I think of Tibetan Masters and the Deities they refer to as part of the services they provide to the world, it reminds me of the the last (dying) quote of the 'Warrior' style Replicant in Blade runner. They, (meaning the Rinpoches and Lamas) describe a world I cannot even begin to imagine, but that I trust exists. -because I trust their personal integrity, and the integrity of the Buddhist teaching. It conjures up the poetry of other worlds, seen through the eyes of a trusted servant. So I looked it up, and repeated the film quote here.
I often use poetry and music to evoke sentiments felt in recovery that I struggle to articulate in my own words. They are very useful tools in describing inner worlds, that are far removed from logic and the senses. Something more felt than experienced suppose. Poetry, films, stories, fairytales and archetypes are all very useful tools in recovery. I encourage you to make use of them. If they nourish you, that is. Not if they disturb you, or increase your discomfort.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I feel that the Rinpoches and Lamas inhabit an extraordinary world, seen only by people with their advanced level of skill and ability, that would seem terrifying and utterly alien to ordinary people like you and me. So I see a bit of the life of a Rinpoche in the life of this Replicant in blade runner.
And I LOVE the qualities of toughness that the replicants have in this film, as I see (the right kind of) toughness as a VITAL commodity for achieving spiritual growth. It's not for sissies!

Anyway, here's the quotes...

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

I've done questionable things. ... Nothing the god of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for.

I thought you were supposed to be good. Aren't you the good man? Come on! Oh, Deckard! Show me ... what you're made of.
Proud of yourself, little man?
You better get it up, or I'm gonna have to kill you!
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

No comments: