About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

The programme is just common sense really. Nothing fancy.

Sponsees tend to be be very 'impressed' with AA in the beginning. They put people like me on pedestals, and tend to think there is something a bit like the 'holy grail' going on someplace. I should know. I thought the same when I was new. I don't anymore. I TRY (not always successfully I have to say) to NOT put people on pedestals any more. Nowadays I put step 11 (rather than AA) people on pedestals. And that's just as bad, as they are human too. Whatever.

I always say to Sponsees that the programme is little more than common sense, and that they just have a bit of catching up to do in the common sense department. And that when they get to step 9, they will think the AA programme is very 'ordinary'.
They just look at me blankly, like there is some GREAT secret to the whole thing. But they 'get it' later and DO decide the programme is just common sense. Recovery is very 'ordinary' despite the fact that the programme contains very unfathomable mystery ingredients, otherwise known as the higher power and the 'spiritual awakening'.

Its always a HUGE relief, when a Sponsee reaches that point when they take people in AA (including myself) OFF their pedestals, and decide that I am actually just very human, and on my own journey of discovery, Instead of thinking I am somebody that 'knows all the answers'. Phew!
When some one expects you to know the answers all the time, that is a TOTAL drag!

1 comment:

Recovery Road London said...

Hiya

wet enough for you today? :-)

ta for what you wrote. Similar to what my sis keeps saying.

I just feel a failure at the mo. I have my sobriety, of course. And I wouldn't swap that for ten job offers at huge salaries!

Thnaks for your support.

Hope you're having a good day. :-)