About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Combating worry: The 'firing line' quote says it all really..

I find a good way to stop worrying about little problems is to get a BIGGER problem! True! It works! It helps put things in perspective!
You know the term 'compassion fatigue'? Well I sort of got 'anxiety fatigue' after one thing, then another...
In the end i just gave up worrying. no point. there's only so much adrenalin your body can deal with!
My situation has many uncertains, but I can honestly say I'm not bothered. 'ill cross that bridge when I get to it' sort of thing. but initially when the first uncertainties came along, I thrashed about a bit, looking VAINLY for something secure to hang on to, then I got 'sick and tired of being sick and tired', and sort of 'gave in'. Now I feel fine! Nothing has changed, I just trust more!
But I like to think I have 'paid my dues' when it comes to helping alcoholics. that's MY 'insurance policy'. and I make SURE I make those payments EVERY DAY.
All I know is that things seem to work out as long as I GENUINELY look for ways of contributing to the stream of life EVERY DAY. Faith without WORKS is dead as they say. the 'firing line' quote says it all really. well that's the 'rule' I live by anyway...

Keep on the firing line of life with these MOTIVES* and God WILL keep you unharmed. p102

(*Motive here refers to the 'desire to be of MAXIMUM helpfulness/service')

2 comments:

Shannon said...

yes faith with out works is dead.. I am so glad my first sponsor pointed that out to me in the beginning.. something that has really stuck through the years... Happy Monday

Anonymous said...

I am still working on this. I see a worry free mind in my sweetheart. His energy and arora are so attractive and carefree due to it. For now I will borrow suggestions from others such as yourself who already have obtained the characteristics I seek.

A bigger problem, hmmmmmm