About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Friday, December 01, 2006

A good 'study' of what I would call 'toxic shame'

And the redeeming power of love!

Friday 1st Dec Afternoon Play on Radio 4
You have until next Friday to 'listen again' to this broadcast. As they keep them online or 7 days.
See the right hand links menu for the radio 4 afternoon play link.

Wooden Heart: Hattie Naylor's drama is based on the true stories of Jenisch gypsy children who were forcibly removed from their parents by the Swiss authorities.

I'm a big fan of the afternoon play as it sometimes touches on some powerful emotional themes. Not always. But the good ones are very good.

I think its always useful to see these conditions as objectively as possible and stories sometimes help us do that. I loved this story. I think its very emotionally 'accurate', for want of a better word. That always impresses me when someone manages to capture an aspect of the human condition faithfully.
What I particularly like is the way the story shows the 'ordinariness' of the child's acceptance of her lot. This frequently happens with kids. People make the mistake of thinking kids deal really well with things because they do not appear to be passing judgment on their situation, but I see that as wrong. They are in pain, its just they don't realize that they are being persecuted and that they have a right to object. Obviously not all children are like this, but most take the blame for cruel treatment, or chaos around them. Whatever. The story explains it a lot better than I ever could.

No comments: