About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Friday, December 29, 2006

An online copy of The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

Here is the link for the online copy of The Prophet

The link for all Kahlil Gibrans other written stuff online here

I've only just discovered that Kahlil Gibrans works are all posted online. Cool! I never got round to buying his books, but have always meant to get round to reading The Prophet. Now I can! Online! Anyway, these are pretty standard books of spiritual wisdom as far as I know, so it's quite nice to know you don't have to buy a copy. They are always displayed prominently in Watkins Books. Now I will dip into them as I meander round the web.

Gibran died in New York City on April 10, 1931: the cause was determined to be cirrhosis of the liver.

He may very well have been a raving alky as it happens, but it wouldn't be the first time great teachers have had this illness. The presence of alcoholism in a teacher does not undermine their material for me, any more than I would disregard a teacher because they had cancer. As far as I am concerned alcoholism is just a disease, and does not interfere with other skills and abilities in a person. Except when they become too ill to render their skill, in which case it does interfere! So what I mean is that his written work still is of value regardless of his alcoholism.

No comments: