About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Jonathan Cainers' thoughts on what it might be like being Enlightened

I'm a big fan of Jonathan. He's my type of guy! This is from his 'old favorites' section under 'ancient lost knowledge' that he wrote in the Daily Express in 2000. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but so does String Theory! (See the post on the Horizon BBC programme on Parallel Universes)
Anyway I always like his view on things, but I like this passage and the view it provides of what enlightenment might look like. It's actually not far off the string theory view of reality. -Well in my opinion anyway. They seem very similar to me. Anyway just thought I'd repeat it here, as I just like anything to do with monastics really..

Place yourself, please, in a dreamlike state. Relax. Let your mind go blank for a moment. Be willing to float in and out of this world – and a thousand others. Imagine that you can levitate if you only make your body feel light enough. Pretend that, if you wish to, you can turn back the clock. Or send it sweeping forward to the future.
Envisage the ability to see into other people’s minds. Envisage, too, the power to influence their thoughts. You can do anything you want to. You can be whatever you dream of being.
You are under the influence of no drug. Your mind is perfectly sane and rational. You just happen to know about the existence of another dimension. You know how to enter and leave it at will. This all seems perfectly normal to you.
Congratulations. You have just taken your first step into a mystical, timeless realm.
You have drifted a little closer to the state that some people call enlightenment. And, just possibly, you have glimpsed the future of humanity. You may be only pretending – but on the path of self-discovery, pretence is a key part of the process.
You have entered what psychologists call the world of the shared subconscious. You have encountered what artists and writers call “the muse”. It is a delicate, fragile place. Yet it is full of wealth and wonder. Tap into it and you can bring forth a flow of inspiration. Siphon off a symphony. Draw down a design. Fish out, from this wondrous river, as many inventive ideas as you care to. You will never drain it dry.
We all enter this world from time to time. Yet our visits there are only fleeting. Even the greatest creatives cannot dwell there more than moment. It is too fluid, too different, too weird. To live there all day every day, you must either go mad...or become a monk.

No comments: