About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Notice who is offering you pears today

I loved this story so much from two dogs blogging , (Posted under the heading How full is your basket?) that I asked if I could post it here. I think it's marvelous.

Our minds have a very sort of 'car crash tv' slant, in that we morbidly get drawn to negativity, like when people slow down when they drive past a car crash. It's just a habit. Once you realize there IS this 'magnetic' pull of the mind toward black negativity, it's very easy to fix. The trick is to think about the solution instead of dwelling on the problem. That's how I see this story anyway. And in this case, the trick is to notice all the places that are providing the very thing you seek instead of focusing on a place where that need simply cannot be met.
I STILL have to keep moving my focus to the solution instead of the problem, but then these things are never cured, just managed, on a daily basis.

The aa slogan that I feel sums up what this passage has to say is:
The more you think about the problem, the bigger the problem gets. The more you think about the solution, the bigger the solution gets.

Anyway, thanks 2 dogs! And hope you like..

From two dogs blogging
I went to the women's meeting this morning and although there were only four of us there, I heard something that really struck home with me. One member talked about dealing with the pain in her early recovery of a mother who was never emotionally available to her. She received some wonderful advice from another recovering woman when she shared with her how her mother had never been there for her.

The woman she was talking to about her parent's lack of emotional availability said, "Dear, if someone is holding a basket of apples and you want a pear, they can't offer you a pear, they can only offer you an apple. God gives us what we need; it just may not come from people that we want or demand it should come from. If you keep your focus on having pears magically appear from your mom's basket of apples, you will miss the other women who come into your life bearing pears because your "vision" will focused on your mom. You won't be looking around for the multitude of places one can find pears."

No comments: