About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

'Thrashing about' is a prelude to growth

Thrashing about in early recovery is pretty normal. not even remotely atypical.
In later recovery it's a HEALTHY sign that you are challenging some deeply held 'old ideas'.
I can STILL feel pulled in two separate directions, 20 years on! There is always SOME sort of pull toward sabotage and another towards hope and a better life. I may not think of drinking (I don't AT ALL as a matter of fact), but the proverbial 'devil' on the one shoulder and the 'angel on the other, is just a STANDARD FEATURE of the human condition. I just think it gets played out more dramatically in early recovery.
Its' important to be honest about whatever is bothering you. that's what honesty is. telling the truth, without worrying what others think. It's a VERY valuable skill.
As long as I continue to grow and challenge my old ways of looking at things, I experience that 'thrashing about' to SOME extent. so you're in good company!
So for those of who who have (wrongly) concluded you are 'off course' because you are experiencing this, don't!. I think you're getting there, no doubt about it! Just keep on keepin on, and all that..

No comments: