About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I MIGHT stop all sponsoring in October. So finish all your step 5's before then!!

There's a high possibility that because of the additional workload in October that I will be unable to sponsor from then until my workload reduces. I will more than likely not be doing any step 5 or step 1 and any lengthy explanations or what have you.
Obviously if my circumstances were to change, then so will this. But that is my guess for the time being.
So basically, aim to get step 5 finished before the end of September. You have two months!!! Then I'm TOO BUSY. Thankfully I have enough competent sponsees that you could switch to if you wanted to finish doing the steps with them. The method I have used is not really designed to be 'high maintenance' after step 9, and I see no reason why you can't become much more independent by seeking out and relying upon the feedback you can get from the HUGE amount of cool people in AA. It's foolish to rely on any one person. I was always fairly independent of my sponsor, and most of the things I learned in AA I learned from listening to old timers and other people who were very active when it came to service. Also by getting to know the big book. Obviously you need to have a sponsor to work through the steps from 1 to 9, but after that, its just a series of life lessons which teach you how to ask for help, get feedback, and apply what you have learned from the programme. I don't think sponsorship was designed to make you dependent on one person. Its an easy trap to fall into, but you need to 'make your AA nest' wherever you happen to be. If you all decide to go work in new york, for instance, I would hope that you would use what you had learned to find good meetings and create a good network of support for yourself.
So in theory, by drawing back from sponsorship for a while, I'll be helping you learn how I became more self sufficient in recovery. This is a good thing as far as I am concerned. Dependency is an arse. You have to learn how to kick the habit, no matter how comfortable the rut. If its any consolation, I've been very independent since doing the steps with my sponsor. Because I had such a cool home group, there are always people I can think of to ask, when I need to find out something. So don't worry!! Put yourself about! Mingle! Go for LOTS of coffees with service types, and you'll be fine!! I would strongly advise against isolating, or fearfully keeping your weaknesses and 'growing places' to yourself. Its humbling telling a new person stuff that you're not sure about, but its do able.
Also I would STRONGLY recommend a good step 11 practice to help bring you into contact with wise non alcoholics. Yes you meet a few kooks along the way with that one, but if you keep your eyes peeled, you will find some real gems. My spiritual advisors (for want of a better word) exist mainly outside AA, although I believe AA provides a channel for god and synchronicity to 'speak to me'. Plus its an opportunity to score good karma points by helping people get sober. Which we all desperately need, I might add.

Who knows how it will pan out! I will keep you posted!

No comments: