About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Want to meet some very cool new friends? Go to the Dalai Lama event in Brittany next week!

Its been cancelled im afraid, but the same could be said for any dalai lama event so I'll leave this post in for future reference.

There is always a very cool crowd that these types of things. They tend to be a little older in age terms, but not entirely. Like a lot of Buddhist crowds, they are generally middle class, and white, but they often have unconventional interesting freelance lives of some sort. I've met some very talented people at things like that. What's nice is that in addition to being talented, productive and unfussy, they are terribly mellow and unpretentious. Total lack of ego in comparison to the 'usual' ego battles we see in AA.
Basically, if you go to any very good senior monastic teaching, there are some very cool people there. Its a totally different vibe than a meeting, and a very different mindset you encounter. Its a good education into how childish/mad and 'outright mental defectives' we are in AA! I've found these crowds extraordinarily mellow and accomplished. Even the 'regular' housewife types are impressively at ease with the world.

So that's my hot tip! Go meet cool people in Brittany on the 16th-21st of July! Its IS 'sticking with the winners' in the 'real' world. In my opinion.
Weblink for Dalai Lama Teaching Here

No comments: