About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Chill out at Amaravtai at the weekend. Free!

You have to write to the guest nun in advance to book a room to stay in. Normally they will only let you stay a weekend to begin with, in case you are a nutter! You can go up there every weekend if you like! Some people do. Its a very cool chilled out green place to hang out at the weekends.
Berkhamstead is a 20min train ride from Euston. and Amaravati is a five mile trip from the station. There's a cab company in the station itself, and last time I went it was a fiver or so to get there. Getting back to the station is easier as there is usually someone who can give you a lift.
A lot of what I learned after step 9 is based in the teachings they do at this monastery. It might throw you into turmoil initally because it 'looks' different from aa, but the trick is see where they cross sect each other. Now I see these teachings as a way of fleshing out what I learned in aa. There is no 'battle' between the two teachings. Basically if you keep looking for the similarities not the differences it will help. But like most things in life, it requires some effort and hard work. I figured it out, so I'm sure you can too if you set your mind to it!
You have to 'stick with the winners' like you do in any spiritual practice. And this place, just like AA attracts its fair share of nutcases. you have been warned!! but just like when you stumble across a really good aa meeting, when you stumble across a very cool monastic they are unforgettable. so keep your eyes peeled!!

Amaravati link here.

Info on the nuns here.

No comments: