About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Some Quotes & Acronym's

A drunk is a sick human being trying to get well, not a bad one trying to be good
Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation - some fact of my life unacceptable to me & I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is suppose to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God’s world by mistake.

Alcohol is a perfect solvent: It dissolves marriages, families & careers
Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you, you don’t have it
An alcoholic is someone whose feet are firmly planted in thin air
An ingrate is someone who bites the hand that feeds him, then complains of indigestion
Call your sponsor BEFORE you pick up a drink
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to overcome it
Cunning, Baffling, Powerful & Patient
Death, Insanity or Recovery
Denial is Not a River in Egypt
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Do what you did & get what you got
Don’t use even if your ass falls off
Don’t drink, don’t think & go to meetings
Don’t give up before the miracle happens
Don’t work my program, or your program, work “the program”
Embrace the journey
Everything happens for a reason
Faith chases away fear
Faith without works is dead
Fake it ’til you make it
Get to the meeting early & go to the meeting after the meeting
God speaks through other people
God will not close one door without opening another
Gratitude, that’s the attitude
Half measures availed us nothing
Happy, Joyous & Free
He who laughs… lasts
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less
I came, I came to, I came to believe
I like to get a good jump on worrying about something
I may have another drunk in me, but do I have another recovery?
I need just enough to tide me over & then I need MORE
If I woke up today feeling like I did every day when I drank, I’d take myself to the emergency room
If you don’t want to slip, stay away from slippery places
If you wonder if you’re an addict, you probably are
If you don’t have a higher power, borrow mine
If we knew which drink would cause “wet brain,” we’d stop just before it
I’m really a very persuasive person; I can convince myself of anything
Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over & over again, expecting different results
It gets better
It’s not easy to find happiness in ourselves & it’s impossible to find it elsewhere
It’s okay to look back at the past - just don’t stare at it
I’ve been sober & I’ve been drunk.
Sobers better - I think I’ll stay sober
Just for today
Keep coming back, it works if you work it
Keep it simple
Keep your hands in your pants & give the newcomer a chance
Let go & let God
Live for today. Yesterday’s history. Tomorrow’s a mystery
Live life on life’s terms
My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk
None of us came here on a winning streak
Ninety meetings in ninety days
Not everything that is faced can be changed but
nothing can be changed until it is faced
Once an addict, always an addict
Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic
One is too many, a thousand never enough
One Day at a Time
Pray daily, God is easier to talk to than most people
Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink
Progress, not perfection
Put one foot in front of the other
Recovery is a journey, Not a destination
Resentment is like letting someone live rent-free in your head
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm
Short version of the Serenity Prayer – “Screw it”
Sobriety is not for people who need it,
it’s for people who want it
Steps 1, 2 & 3: I can’t, God can. I think I’ll let Him
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem
Sure I had a drinking problem,
but I looked at it more as a drinking opportunity
The easier, softer way is one through twelve
The elevator’s broken, take the steps
The fear of feeling the pain is worse than the pain itself
The mind is like a parachute, it works better when it’s open
The pain is the arrow coming out, not the arrow going in
This too shall pass
The alcoholic’s mind is like a bad neighborhood,
don’t go there alone
The definition of an alcoholic:
an egomaniac with an inferiority complex
Time takes time
Trust God
Try to be grateful & resentful at the same time,
you can’t serve two masters
Today, “we” have a choice
Turn it over
Two things you have to do to become an old-timer:
don’t use & don’t die
United We Stand… Divided We Stagger
Unity, Service & Recovery
Unless I accept my virtues, I will be overwhelmed with my faults
We have to give it away to keep it
We are without a defense against the first drink;
our defense must come from a power greater than ourselves
We’ll love you until you learn to love yourself
We’re only as sick as our secrets
We’re not human beings sharing a spiritual experience…
but spiritual beings sharing a human experience.
What if there is no God? Believe anyway
When you are in it up to your ears, keep your mouth shut
When we were using, we didn’t have relationships,
we took prisoners & held hostages
When the pain of staying sober becomes less than
the pain of getting drunk, you’ll stay sober
Where do I find recovery? Twelve steps past any lengths
Worry doesn’t prevent disaster; it prevents joy
Write a gratitude list & count your blessings
You are right where you are supposed to be
You can always tell an alcoholic, but you can’t tell him much
You can’t think your way into a new way of living…
You have to live your way into a new way of thinking
You reap what you sow
You’re ready for sobriety when the alcohol doesn’t work anymore

Acronym’s
A.B.C. - Acceptance, Belief, Change
A.C.T.I.O.N. - Any Change Toward Improving One’s Nature
B.I.B.L.E. - Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth
D.E.N.I.A.L. - Don’t Even Notice I Am Lying
E.G.O. - Edging God Out
F.A.I.L.U.R.E. - Fearful, Arrogant, Insecure, Lonely, Unsure, Resentful, Empty
F.E.A.R. - Face Everything & Recover / Fuck Everything & Run
False Expectations Appearing Real
F.I.N.E. - Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic & Emotional
F.U.B.A.R. - Fixed Up (Fucked Up) Beyond All Recognition
G.O.D. - Good Orderly Direction / Group Of Drunks
H.A.L.T. - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired
H.E.L.P. - Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience
H.O.W. - Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness
S.L.I.P. - Sobriety Lost It’s Priority / So Long, I’m Perfect
S.O.B.E.R. - Son Of a Bitch, Everything’s Real
T.I.M.E. - Things I Must Learn

No comments: