About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wordless transmission. It's a HIGH teaching.

The best things in life are wordless!
A sunset
A flower
The feeling of love you have for another human being
The special feeling you have when you are in the same room as someone who truly supports you.

Basically the BEST, highest teachings go way beyond words. Words and language are simply far too crude and 'clunky' to grasp these refined 'truths'. So please have respect for these type of learning experiences. They go very deep and are very profound. I doubt the human language will ever be able to describe reality as we get to experience it. But that's ok. Words are just a convention we are stuck with to communicate basic stuff with one another. I don't think they were ever intended to reflect reality accurately.
This is why I favor the 'spiritual' route to freedom rather than the therapy route. Therapy relies on language and the ability of our mind to grasp concepts. To me growth as a human being is infinitely more complex than any of those very superficial functions. I MUCH prefer the infinite complexity of higher truths, as revealed to us in ways I don't suppose I will ever understand. We need to be comfortable with a path that embraces and makes use of faculties we do not and cannot understand. I love the mystery of a spiritual path. To me it is by far the most sophisticated learning curve there is. It would take many lifetimes and a very special type of person to be able to grasp even the beginnings of reality. And I think reality is infinitely more weird than you could possibly imagine. Thank god we have a higher power who understands it a bit better than we do!

No comments: