About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Monday, June 05, 2006

For Stubborn Beliefs..

Imagine the opposite is true for five minutes.
REALLY true.
Difficult isn't it?
It's amazing how 'right' we think we are, isn't it?

If suspending your belief for five minutes is too hard
try it for one minute
or thirty seconds

This is an AMAZING insight into the STUBBORN-NESS of our beliefs!
Anything highly infexible is DEEPLY SUSPECT in my opinion.

Reassure yourself that you will return to your 'old idea; after 5mins so its 'ok'.
(It's just a trick to fool your brain)

Then try it for another five.

You (in the course if time) be AMAZED at how WRONG you have been about many things.

Often those 'opposites' turn out to be true after all!
Who'd have thought eh?

Another way of countering negative beliefs is to 'act as if'
That's the same sort of thing, and works just as well

No comments: