About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Step Two. - the Minimum Requirement

We needed to ask ourselves but ONE short question.
"Do I now believe,
or am I even willing to believe,
that there is a Power greater than myself?"

Chapter 1. BILL'S STORY page 12
Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning.

Tradition 2. It HAS to be a LOVING Power. Not JUGMENTAL or PUNISHING.
A Constructive not a Destructive force.

Look up the word POWER in the dictionary.
The word is POWER not God. Don't get them confused.
Mull over the word 'Power' and see what images come to mind..
Personally I like the visualization of 'Power' in the cinema. Like in the X men, star wars or star trek type things. They often try to dramatize 'Power' at some point in the storyline. This is a useful tool to help us meditate on what the word 'Power' means to us.

As soon as a man can say
that he does believe,
or is willing to believe,
we emphatically assure him that he is on his way.

It has been repeatedly proven among us
that upon this simple cornerstone
a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

Chapter 4. WE AGNOSTICS page 47
At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth,
to effect our first conscious relation
with God as we understood Him.

Chapter 4. WE AGNOSTICS
page 55
the consciousness of your belief is sure to come to you.

Here are some ideas for a concept of a Power Greater than Yourself

The Power of AA as a whole
The collective power of the group.
The Power that makes the Earth turn
Good Orderly Direction
Group Of Drunks
The sense of magnitude you get when you look at the stars at night.
The Universe..
Gravity

The more you think about it, the more you realize that everybody has a concept of a power greater than themselves.
Think what life would be like if the world was full of people that thought they were the most powerful entity in the universe. (!) weird huh?

No comments: