About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Want some advice or feedback from a 'Wise Being'? Try Active Imagination!

WARNING. You motive for having this conversation should NOT be selfish.
If you want to 'better' your life, in ANY way shape or form,
It should be for THE BENEFIT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS
And NO other reason.
You have been warned!!!
Selfishness does NOT work well for you in the realm of the Spirit!!!
What goes around comes around and all that...
Also please be respectful when you do this.

Hmm. How do I explain this.... (without sounding like a lunatic!!)
As far as I am concerned, this is a step 11 'trick'.
This can be done by anyone, but I normally explain how to this AFTER step 9.

Basically you can talk to ANYONE.
Here's how

Personally I like to have a nice space to do this in. Its no different than when you have guests round for dinner. You want to have the place nice. Its not REALLY important, but it IS a nice thing to do.
Its not a ranting opportunity. More of a 'consultation'.
I instinctively feel like I ought to be very respectful when I have these consultations. I don't do them willy nilly. Even though I feel as though I could. I only do this if I feel I have something important I need to consult with them about. I do not want to be more of a drain on 'them' than I absolutely need to. I encourage you to be respectful of this process whilst at the same time, being as honest as you can.

Make a cup of tea, sit down and have a chat with a 'Wise Being'.
Out loud. Or in your head if you are more adept.
Just 'imagine' that there is a wise being there, and you are chatting to 'he/she/it'

Just see what happens..
Try it for, say 30mins or so to start with
But once you get the 'hang' of it, you can do it more instantaneously and for shorter periods.

Ask advice..
Questions..
What do you think of this? Type of thing..
Or what do you make of that?..
Or do you think I'm full of shit?..
Or Am I kidding myself about this?..
Or I just don't know what I'm doing here!..
Or what do YOU think I should do about this?..
Or will I EVER get better at 'x'......

Just about anything you like really..

The rule is BE HONEST.
NOT 'nice'

Tell the truth!
Be yourself!
Stop pretending!
Tell it like it is!
And listen!

Write down the 'feedback' that comes into your head AFTER you have spoken your 'truth', (for no other reason than) you will probably forget it if you don't.
Don't write it down at the time. Wait untill after the 'conversation' has taken place before you start jotting down the perceptions that come into your head.

Tell me how you get on with this because I always like hearing how this goes..

Disclaimer. This should BENEFIT you.
If for some reason you feel WORSE instead of BETTER after you have done this
Then as far as I am concerned. You are doing it WRONG. So please do NOT do it until I have had a chance to give you some corrective feedback.
So please consult me if this is not 'working' for you.

PS Active Imagination has its origins in the Jungian Tradition, but is mirrored in many other faiths and traditions. Basically its a universal truth as far as Im concerned, but I cant be bothered explaining it to be honest. Have fun!

4 comments:

johno said...

no need to cut n paste, got there in the end!

Anonymous said...

I think Dale Carnegie springs to mind. But have you actually read it and applied it...

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Applied Dale Carnegie?
..not sure what you mean by that so you'll have to be more specific.

as it happens I have read that book some time ago in the distant past.
But yeah, you are free to choose any identity that works for you in trying active imagination. If this personality works for you then so be it.

Yeah I have tried the things i mention here, as I wouldn't know how to explain something that I hadnt tried. Nothing really makes much sense to me until I do try things. There might have been a time a long time ago when I trusted things I had not yet tried for myself, but I cant remember when. It has become second nature to me to only ever talk of the things that have made sense to me as a result of some kind of program of action.
So no, speculation is not something that really interests me. i am far more interested in the cause and effect of various actins as reviewed after the event on a case by case basis.
Speculation is too risky. Much better to stick to what seems to work.

Good luck with the Dale Carnegie idea. :)
There are many other established and critically acclaimed authors out there and spiritual leaders t choose from, but if thats what makes sense to you, then try that and see what happens..

"' said...

ok. i am trying this today. after my exam. :))

i'll keep you posted.