About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

'Strange mental blank spots'. What are they?

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 42
I saw that will power and self-knowledge would not help
in those strange mental blank spots.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM p43
Once more: The alcoholic AT CERTAIN TIMES
has NO effective mental defense against the first drink.

Notice it just says ‘at certain times’. NOT all the time.
-Or just when we experience a very obvious craving for a drink.

What does ‘at certain times’ mean? All day? One hour in the evening?

Chapter 2. THERE IS A SOLUTION p24
If these thoughts occur,
they are hazy and readily supplanted
with the old threadbare idea
that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people

What are the implications of this statement?
Can you rely on your thinking to keep you in check?
What is the difference between ‘no effective mental defense’ and a perceived craving for a drink?

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 41
The thought came to mind
that it would be nice to have a couple of cocktails with dinner.
That was all. Nothing more.
This time I had not thought of the consequences at all.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM p36
I had no intention of drinking.
I just thought I would get a sandwich.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM p37
But there was always the curious mental phenomenon that
parallel with our sound reasoning
there inevitably ran some insanely trivial excuse for taking the first drink.
Our sound reasoning failed to hold us in check.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM p37
we are obliged to admit that our justification for a spree
was insanely insufficient in the light of what always happened.
there was little serious or effective thought
during the period of premeditation
of what the terrific consequences might be.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 40
I felt I had every right to be self-confident,
that it would be only a matter of exercising my will power
and keeping on guard.

Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 41
Not only had I been off guard,
I had made no fight whatever against the first drink.

No comments: