About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Identifiying the 'Prayers' in the Big Book

Step Three Prayer
Chapter 5. HOW IT WORKS page 63
God, I offer myself to Thee --
to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self,
that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them
may bear witness to those I would help
of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

Step Seven Prayer
Chapter 6. INTO ACTION page 76
My Creator,
I am now willing that you should have all of me,
good and bad.
I pray that you now remove from me
every single defect of character
which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows.
Grant me strength, as I go out from here,
to do your bidding.
Amen.

Chapter 5. HOW IT WORKS page 70
To sum up about sex:
We earnestly pray for the right ideal,
for guidance in each questionable situation,
for sanity,
and for the strength to do the right thing.

Chapter 6. INTO ACTION page 85
How can I best serve Thee?,
Thy will (not mine) be done."
These are thoughts which MUST go with us CONSTANTLY.

Chapter 1. BILL'S STORY page 13
I was to sit quietly when in doubt,
asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems
as He would have me.
Never was I to pray for myself,
except as my requests bore on my usefulness to others.
Then only might I expect to receive.
But that would be in great measure.

Chapter 5. HOW IT WORKS
page 59
Sought through prayer and meditation
to improve our conscious contact with God
as we understood Him ,
praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.

Chapter 6. INTO ACTION
page 86
Before we begin,
we ask God to direct our thinking,
especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity,
dishonest or self-seeking motives.

No comments: