About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Why does Religion not keep people sober?

Chapter 2. THERE IS A SOLUTION page 27
This hope, however, was destroyed by
the doctor's telling him
that while his religious convictions were very good,
in his case they did NOT spell
the necessary VITAL SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.

So you see, according to the first 100 members
The thing that keeps them sober, is NOT religion,
It IS the Spiritual awakening 'as a result of doing the steps'.

So staying sober, and recovering are dependent upon getting a 'spiritual awakening 'as a result of doing the steps'.
NOT upon being 'religious'.

Chapter 7. WORKING WITH OTHERS page 93
To be vital,
faith MUST be accompanied by
self sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action.

Here we see the first 100 members telling us another reason why religion (of itself) DOES NOT WORK.

In other words, even if you are Jesus's own little sunbeam, that unless you start ACTING like you are Jesus's little sunbeam, you are probably going to drink yourself to death.

This isn't confined to religious types. Have you heard the phrase 'Talk the talk versus walking the walk?'
AA is full of people who wax lyrical about the merits and wonders of AA, but whose primary purpose would not appear to be 'to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety'.
Actions speak much louder than words, and you can tell what people REALLY think by watching what they do.

And I think we can safely say that the first 100 members must have thought this point was pretty important!!! Because they then see fit to REPEAT it 4 TIMES!!
So trust me, IT'S IMPORTANT. (!)

Chapter 1. BILL'S STORY page 14
Faith without works was dead, he said.

Chapter 1. BILL'S STORY page 15
Then faith would be dead indeed.

Chapter 6. INTO ACTION page 76
Faith without works is dead.

Chapter 6. INTO ACTION page 88
Faith without works is dead.

No comments: