About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Step Five. Tell ALL, or Drink

P72
Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves
certain facts about their lives.
Trying to avoid this humbling experience,
they have turned to easier methods.

Almost invariably they got drunk.

Having persevered with the rest of the program,
they wondered why they fell.
We think the reason is that they never completed their housecleaning.
They took inventory all right,
but hung on to some of the worst items in stock.
They only thought they had lost their egoism and fear;
they only thought they had humbled themselves.
But they had not learned enough of humility, fearlessness and honesty,
in the sense we find it necessary,
until they told someone else ALL their life story.

p72
We must be entirely honest with somebody
if we expect to live long or happily in this world.

No comments: