About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Inferior? Try Daily 'Acknowledgements'

It consists of writing down at least 6 things a day
of stuff you have done in the last 24 hours that you have done.
Basically you are acknowleging the efforts and attempts to have made,
regardless of the outcome. Its not about 'success' its about trying.
Meaning..
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, another is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.”
Henry C. Link quote

So it might go like this:
Today I acknowledge that I spent an hour on the phone to my old dad helping him find a new washing machine.
Today I acknowledge that I am going to the gym
Today I acknowledge that I tried to explain how I deal with my recurring tendencies toward inferiority in sobriety using the steps and the maintenance tools after completing the first 9.
Today I acknowledge that I spoke to my sponsees this morning.
Today I acknowledge that my intention is to eat only raw fruit and veg today

Etc etc
Just thought that example might prove useful.
Obviously the programme comes first, but I have been very pleased with the affect that this method has in restoring my faith in myself and my abilities. And as a result, I recommend this method to people with this tendency, but only after they have completed step 1 to 9. But that's only because I want them to see how powerful the steps are by themselves. (the way I was shown how to do them anyway).

No comments: