About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Treat ALL Perception as HIGHLY SUSPECT

Chapter 5, How it Works, page 58
Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas
and the result was NIL
until we let go ABSOLUTELY.

Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation.

Alcoholics are very opinionated and often wrong, but never in doubt.

Chapter 11, A Vision for You, page 164
We realize we know only a little.

'Doubt may be an uncomfortable state of mind but certainty is ridiculous.' ~Voltaire

'There are no facts, only interpretations.' ~Friedrich Nietzsche

'Are you sure?' ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Learn to distrust even the MOST compelling
reactive or negative habitual reactions


I now know that even when I have a compelling belief
that something is inherently 'wrong',
that if it is one of the aspects of life I have great difficulty in coming to terms with or accepting,
that my interpretation is highly likely to be BS.

This is easy to say in theory but very difficult to practice
when all my buttons are pushed and I experience internally
what can only be described as some sort of rage.

Sometimes it's like someone threw a grenade in my head or something!

Thank god for 'restraint of tongue and pen'.
Otherwise I would dig myself a bigger hole.

I need to go to any lengths to bite my tongue, reserve my judgement
and keep my (temporarily vitriolic) opinion to myself.

Therefore not 'act out.'
The mood ALWAYS passes
and I see it much more impartially once I've cooled down.

No comments: