About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Giving it away to keep it

When ALL other measures failed, work with another alcoholic WOULD (not might) save the day.
p15. Chapter 1. Bill's Story

On talking to a man there, I would be AMAZINGLY lifted up and set on my feet.
p15. Chapter 1. Bill's Story

Practical experience shows that NOTHING will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics.
p89. Chapter 7. Working with others.

Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our CONSTANT thought of others
and how we may help meet their needs.
p20. Chapter 2. There is a solution.

if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others,
he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead.
p15. Chapter 1. Bill's Story

Helping others is the foundation stone of your recovery.
A kindly act once in a while isn't enough.
You have to act the Good Samaritan every day, if need be.
p97.Chapter 7. Working with others.

Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us.
p77. Chapter 6. Into action.

Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to others
p102. Chapter 7. Working with others.

Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
p89. Chapter 1. Bill's Story

Because every time I do it
I take out a little more insurance for myself against a possible slip.
p181. Dr Bob's Nightmare.

No comments: