About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Will Self Knowledge keep you sober?

The actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly any exception,
will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge.
page 39 Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM

Above all, he believed he had acquired such a profound knowledge of the inner workings of his mind and its hidden springs that relapse was unthinkable.
Nevertheless, he was drunk in a short time.
More baffling still, he could give himself no satisfactory explanation for his fall.
page 26 Chapter 2. THERE IS A SOLUTION

He had much knowledge about himself as an alcoholic.
Yet all reasons for not drinking were easily pushed aside
in favor of the foolish idea that he could take whiskey if only he mixed it with milk!
page 36 Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM

I saw that will power and self-knowledge would not help in those strange mental blank spots.
page 42 Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM

Surely this was the answer -- self-knowledge.
page 7 Chapter 1. BILL'S STORY

He was positive that this humiliating experience,
plus the knowledge he had acquired,
would keep him sober the rest of his life.
Self-knowledge would fix it.
page 40 Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM

No comments: