About Me

My photo
I have recovered from the disease of Alcoholism. I believe there is only one person really,.. everybody. And that peace of mind is everything. -So treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself, because your neighbor IS yourself. I think most of recovery is what I would call common sense, but that learning to be ordinary is a true gift very few people acquire. My ambition is to accept everything unflinchingly, with compassion, and therefore be intrinsically comfortable in my own skin, no matter what. I am comfortable being uncomfortable and am willing to go to any lengths to improve my life. I believe the Big Book was divinely inspired, and is extraordinarily powerful. Unfortunately AA's best kept secret a lot of the time. (In my opinion). I just try to do what works, no matter what it is.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pining and Nostalgia

Essentially, nostalgia is a very skewed perspective of reality because it is living in the PAST. Therefore it is not very 'real'. We function best when we are TOTALLY IN THE MOMENT. Or 'Present'. The past CAN be 'accessed' in the present moment, but that's a different sort of skill, and bears no resemblance to the habit of nostalgia. Something I heard at a Thich Nhat Hanh talk. I might explain how to do it in a later post.

I have come to believe that NOTHING happens by accident! If people are not in your life, that is probably EXACTLY how your higher power wants it to be! With GOOD reason more than likely...

Thich Nhat Hanh calls the habit of living in the future and the past as 'Not keeping our appointment with life'
It doesn't really matter what you call it, but I just thought I'd mention that.

No comments: